I am an innovator interested in translating basic research into solutions to society’s problems. My focus is on Life Sciences/Biotechnology, in particular genomics and bioinformatics, and their application for a better healthcare and for a better, more sustainable use of natural resources. I am a firm believer in basic science, but also that at the heart of any excellent science, there is a potential business model to be developed . I enjoy creating the conditions for this value generation.
- I have a PhD in Biomedical Sciences, an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry, and I completed an executive program in management for entrepreneurs
- I led a research group, participated in the creation and managed scientific infrastructures at the national and international level; I published 59 scientific papers with national and international collaborators; I participated in multiple funding applications, including H2020, that resulted in Millions of Euros in research funding.
- My research led to the discovery of novel applications for old drugs (drug repositions), patent applications and the founding of a diagnostics company where we used genomics and bioinformatics to develop novel solutions for precision medicine; I also participated in the team of a business incubator where I evaluated and mentored new start up companies in the health and well-being domains. Currently I am developing a new precision oncology tool for HepatoCellular Carcinoma.
- I worked in multiple internacional contexts (USA, UK, PT), at Universities, Research Institutes, State Laboratories, Business incubators and Start Ups.
- I have a broad scientific experience , including medical biotechnology, biodefense, agroforestry and marine biotechnology, using diverse approaches including bioinformatics, biochemistry, molecular biology, nuclear chemistry.
- Finally, I participate in several scientific advisory boards for public institutions and I am involved in causes that link science and society, in particular supporting the creation of a scientific community in Portuguese-speaking Africa countries.